Laser Hair Removal
What is it?
Laser Hair removal has been a solution for many who shave everyday, suffer from ingrowns, or have sensitive skin reactions to waxing or depilatory creams. Hair removal is not permanent this is one of the biggest misconceptions and although it doesn’t permanently destroy hair it DOES permanently reduce the amount of hair you have, and depending on the individual the effects can be long lasting.
How does it work?
The laser emits a light that is absorbed by the pigment (melanin) in the hair.. The light energy then converts to heat, this is what damages the hair follicles that produces hairs. This damage inhibits or delays future hair growth. Hair grows in a cycle so it’s impossible to destroy hair in one session. It’s recommended to have as many as 8-12 sessions to have a higher percentage of reduction. These sessions depending on the area treated are spaced 4-6 or 6-8 weeks apart. All of this is covered in your consultation with the medical technician.
Is it painful?
Hair removal marketing nowadays say lasers are virtually “pain-free” “Virtually is the key word here” II would say this depends on the individual. At Accent we make the treatment as comfortable as possible by applying a cool gel to the area we are treating and our Venus Velocity laser has a chilled tip that numbs the skin and this helps considerably with any pinching sensation. Clients have commented on how comfortable this makes the overall treatment especially in more sensitive areas.
How do I prep?
- The areas to be treated must be cleanly shaved within 24hrs prior to the treatment. The hair must be shaved using a razor as no hair can be visible during treatment.
- Do not tweeze, wax or pluck the area being treated between or prior to sessions
- The treatment area needs to be free from makeup, lotion, deodorant and sunscreens
- The area cannot be treated if there has been exposure to the sun within 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Self tanners cannot be used 3-4 weeks prior to the treatment area and must be exfoliated to remove all product residues.
What do I do after?
- Avoid all heat induced activities 48hrs following your treatment ( gym, saunas, hot yoga etc. )
- Avoid sun exposure on area treated for up to 10 days following treatment
- Perfumed soaps or scented creams on area treated
What does Accent use?
At Accent we have two Venus Velocity Diode Laser machines that treat all skin types.
Using a Diode laser you require less treatments than an IPL which can oftentimes be double the amount of treatments depending on how much hair you have and your skin type. During your consultation process we will walk you through the A, B and C’s of hair removal. We want to ensure that you have as much information possible to make an informed decision because we know that hair removal is an investment in time and money and our goal is to ensure you have the best possible outcome.